Thursday, September 20, 2012

Better Late than Never

Right?

I've been very slack with my blogging, but figured with the season drawing to a close (or already closed for me) I should put something together. That and I'm postponing a date with my Neurobiology text as long as possible.

That studying means I'm unfortunately not in the Netherlands at the moment. UBC was kind enough to let me take last year off without too much trouble so it was time to get back to the books this year. I decided it might be the responsible decision to spend a little bit more time actually at school for my last year, so here I am. As much as I'd like to be in the Netherlands, it's almost as fun trying to make my cyclist brain a student brain again (a year off hurts!). And I'm really excited to watch the girls race on Saturday. I have a feeling one of the Optum p/b KBS girls has a good chance of pulling something pretty exciting off. Go Carmen, Leah, Lex and Joelle!! And, also, good luck to the rest of the Canadian team - Vero and Karol-Ann! Getting up at pacific time is going to hurt, but probably not quite as much as getting up that Cauberg. We pre-rode it in April and it is nothing to turn your nose up at.

My failure to blog for so long means that it's been a bit too long to go back through all the details of the past four months. Other than to say it was pretty crazy! Filled with lots of travel, quite enough stress, lots of fun racing, and three personal highlights for me.

1. Making the Olympic team/going to the Olympics!
2. Taking the RR National title
3. Being apart of Carmen winning NVGP, our team's home race

Winning the national title was exciting and something special in a stressful time for me. It gave me some good confidence, particularly in my ability to just get down to racing no matter what else was going on.

Winning the national title was exciting and something special in a stressful time for me. It gave me some good confidence, particularly in my ability to just get down to racing no matter what else was going on.

The Olympics were an experience for a lifetime- something that definitely hasn't quite sunken in yet. One of the most memorable parts was the sound for the first 10 or so kilometres. Completely overwhelming.


Under crazy conditions, I think I can definitely say I gave it my all and will take away a lot for the future. 

But the main reason I felt like I should get down to writing a blog was for some thank you's. 

I can't say enough about the support I have received this season. 

My friends and family have been incredibly supportive, which helped so, so much - so a big thank you there, which ties in to one more video and article that are really important to me.



A Ring to Remember - thanks Dean for the article

And a huge thank you to my team Optum p/b KBS for being so understanding this year and for just the great general support. I had a massive amount of fun racing with Optum this year and they were so understanding of all of us pursuing our Olympic dreams. It definitely wouldn't have been possible without the understanding of all the staff and the great sponsors.

And  Sport North! I can't wait to get up to Yellowknife at the beginning of November and have the chance to share some of my experiences.

And CANFUND/Ryder Hesjedal. Thanks for everything you do for Canadian athletes and for being such an inspiration for Canadian cyclists, respectively.

That doesn't come close to doing everyone justice but I just wanted to express my appreciation. 

It has been a surreal year. Which feels even more surreal now, as I try and draw from the depths of my memory and try and contribute to conversations in class with people that appear to have spent the past year reading every scientific paper under the Sun, while I've been killing time on Facebook. 

But back to the main point. A huge thank you to everyone that has been a part of this season!!

2 comments:

  1. Deal cheap price Nepal tour and trekking packages?
    http://www.buddhanepaltrek.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I have read your interesting blog related to sports mats. These are very interesting facts covered on this blog.
    You can also find some more facts about sports mats in this site:-
    http://www.matsindia.com/

    ReplyDelete